Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Legend of The Poinsettia

I am guest designing again this month at 
Once Upon a Time Challenge blog
where the theme is based upon a children's book.
You can create anything using the book,
the story, the title, the pictures, the colors,
anything that has to do with the book.


As published by Amazon:

In Mexico, the poinsettia is called flor de la Nochebuenao flower of the Holy Night. At Christmastime, the flower blooms and flourishes, the quite exquisite red stars lighting up the countryside.

This Mexican legend tells how the poinsettia came to be, through a little girl's unselfish gift to the Christ Child. Beloved Newbery honor-winning author and Caldecott honor-winning illustrator Tomie dePaola has embraced the legend using his own special feeling for Christmas. His glorious paintings capture not only the brilliant colors of Mexico and its art, but also the excitement of the children preparing for Christmas and the hope of Lucida, who comes to see what makes a gift truly beautiful.


For my card I let the title inspire me,
I mean WHO doesn't love Poinsettias?


For my Poinsettia I used a new, never been used before 
Sizzix Tim Holtz thinlits die Poinsettia Pieces.
I inked with distress inks fired brick and saltwater taffy
on a piece of glossy card stock, then die cut the
Poinsettia and placed over the inked card stock.
I added a Tim Holtz sentiment from Crazy Talk
stamp set, which I embossed with gold EB powder.
I also added Tonic Sunlit Meadow glitter drops
to the center of the flower.



Take a peek at Once Upon A Time challenge blog
and have some fun by joining in with us!

I want to thank Deanne for having me as a guest designer!

2 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

What a beautiful story. It kinda choked me up. You have an utterly gorgeous card for the challenge with the soft sponging and simplicity. Very nice, Diane!

Conniecrafter said...

I just finished reading on another blog that our using poinsettias at Christmas came from Mexico. I love your bright flower!