Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Incredible Journey

Time for a new challenge at
The Sisterhood of Crafters ,
Vickie is our hostess this week and she has chosen the theme
'Winter Blues/Travel/Vacation

I chose a very different way to go with this theme as you will
see once you scroll down below.

First to my project.
I made a little matchbox suitcase (travel theme)
with a luggage tag that says
'The Incredible Journey'
for my grandson Caiden's 16th surprise birthday on January 27th
as he has been on an incredible journey these past 4 months.



I first saw this cute suitcase on Pinterest and decided it would make
the perfect gift box for a young man
(Of course now I have a drawer full of matches with no where to go...lol)


You basically just measure and cut and adhere down, pretty easy!


I bought a man's stainless steel link bracelet with a beautiful cross
and tucked it inside the  box, as his faith has been just as incredible as his journey
throughout the entire ordeal.


The Story:
You might not know, or you might recall he was in an ATV accident
back on October 14th that has him paralyzed at the waist
and from the knees down.

He was in a corn field traveling about 15mph when he
hit a drainage ditch he didn't know was there and was thrown in the ditch
with the ATV hitting him dead center in the back, breaking his back in 2 places....
a mere 6" and he wouldn't be here at all.
He was in ICU for over 6 weeks,
then transferred to a recovery/therapy hospital
and came home in December.

I won't go into all the details, but he had made incredible progress,
one I call
The Incredible Journey
as he pushes himself to recover and walk again.
Will he totally recover, will he totally walk again?
We don't know, it is all in God's hands.

He is an amazing young man, a sophomore in high school
and his 3rd year in science/math courses at a college 5 mornings a week.

Here are a few photos

The first day in ICU in Indianapolis

The recovery, his picture around the 1st of February.


His surprise birthday dinner.
(that is my daughter, his mama behind him...the blonde not the man with the beard...lol)


A group of his college friends at his birthday.
(check out his tee shirt)


Thank you for letting me share this with you!

Now head on over to The Sisterhood and see all the inspiring creations
my sistah's have for you...join in with us!!

6 comments:

Ros Crawford said...

Oh my... He's come a long way that gorgeous young man! I'm so glad you shared this and your photos ... You cute suitcase is fabulous! I've a penchant for these but like you say ... What to do with the matches? Don't keep them in your craft room anyway... all that paper!! Enjoy your day my friend and I hope Caiden makes a full recovery!

Darlene said...

Your match box suitcase is just FABULOUS and what a great packaging for Caiden's birthday present! Yes he's come a long way and still has a ways to go but with his strong faith and support system I truly believe he will make it!!! Thanks for sharing the photos and awesome job on our challenge theme! You always amaze me with your creativity!!

Leslie Miller said...

Wow. Well, first of all, what an incredible journey Caiden has traveled. He's got an attitude that will see him through this, I just know it. You must be so proud of him. I see his beautiful soul in his eyes and his smile. When you put everything together, you've been on quite a journey, yourself, making it through some heartache and difficult times. Okay... the suitcase... I never would have thought of this, but it's so cute and clever! There are so many great ideas out there. It makes the perfect gift box. I'm just overwhelmed by your entire post today.

Lisa said...

Oh, Diane, what an incredible journey. Caiden has been in my prayers since the accident and I am continue to pray that he is able to overcome and walk again. What a beautiful smile he has!! And what a creative and fabulous suitcase!! I love, love it!! I have a box of those matches lying around somewhere...now I want to find them so I can make one, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Puppy Kisses and Paper Dreams said...

What a great project! So glad he is getting better and better. Hugs all around.

Vickie Y said...

Oh, Diane. What an incredible journey your grandson is on with a great attitude. Will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers. AND, I LOVE your project!