Monday, July 10, 2023

A Fun Day

 I don't have a card to share today but those of you that
know me, know I have a grandson that was injured in an ATV
accident when he was 15, he is 22 now.
When he graduated high school he received a full four year scholarship to
University of Michigan and joined the wheelchair tennis team.
After three years of attending college he graduated
( yes it only took him 3 years to graduate)
but still wanted to compete in tennis tournaments.
All his years of playing I never got to see him play other then videos
as most of the tournaments were out of state all over the country.
I was lucky enough that it just happened he had a tournament in
Michigan from Friday til Sunday this weekend and I got to attend.

I have to say it was very humbling to see all the players in wheelchairs,
I mean you know there are a lot of reasons for so many in wheelchairs
but to actually SEE that many all in one place is quite an eye opener.
And all in good spirits, all having a laughing good time,
it did my heart good to be a part of it!

I have a few pictures (actually quite a few) to share if you would like to see.
He finished a finalist in Co-Ed A Singles
and
2nd in Doubles.

He received a check for winning.








He is taking the next school season off for a break
but hopes to back in the fall of 2024 to obtain his masters.
Right now he is building websites for various companies.

6 comments:

LesleyG said...

What lovely pictures, you must be so proud, the technology is amazing to enable them to play so competitively, such athleticism, and he’s obviously very clever too! Xx

Carol L said...

What a wonderful, heartwarming post! Your grandson has a great smile, amazing attitude, and nothing has held him back from reaching his full potential. I can feel your overwhelming pride through these great photos. Life is great and I'm happy that you got to see him play in one of his tournaments!

Darlene said...

Awesome photos and I'm SO PROUD of what Caiden has achieved! He is a true testiment to how you can turn a negative into a positive!! He's certainly an inspiration!! GO CAIDEN!!!

Conniecrafter said...

I am glad he had this opportunity and found something he enjoys so much, great that he is going on to get his masters!

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, your grandson and all the rest of these smiling players are amazing! It does my heart good, too, to see this post, Diane. Your grandson has overcome such obstacles and made quite a life for himself. I know he has a very supportive family and that makes all the difference, too. I really really appreciate seeing this. Thank you so much!

Lisa said...

Congrats to your grandson for graduating in 3 years. Good luck on his masters. What a great day out for him and so glad you got to see the tournament and spend time with him.